Wednesday 3 July 2013

Kiss it better

I went to see my nephew this week and when his Mumma hurt her finger I noticed he went straight in to kiss it better. It got me to thinking how: a. CUTE that is and b. I really wish you could kiss cancer better. Then I remembered visualisation. You can kiss that nasty disease good riddance! 
When I first got diagnosed the word visualisation was cropping up everywhere and I thought it was a load of nonsense but worth a try. Although there has been no scientific evidence to prove it, they say if you concentrate hard enough on a certain part of your body it can wake up the cells in the area: 'Hey cells, Wakey Wakey! There is an intruder that you really really need to ward off!' (That's putting it very politely.) . 
As I started my chemotherapy on St. George's Day I had a pretty good basis for a story, I was going to kill my very own dragon! I'd sit myself somewhere quiet (that is hard enough in my flat as we live above the NOISIEST nursery) and focus in on the tumour imagining it as a dragon. Well, it started off okay, I'd fantasise a mini me all dressed up in a shiny suit of armour running towards the dragon ready to save the day but then I'd forget about the job in hand. I'd lie there making up the most thrilling tales of heroism but was taking it away from the tumour and living the dream in my head instead.
I've tried quite a few different story ideas for visualisation and my imagination has definitely got wilder but I have never felt it is quite working the way they say it should, so since the sore finger incident I have changed tack. It doesn't have to be quite so dramatic! The simpler the better in fact.
I picture the areas where my cancer is as a black spot. I kiss it and kiss it and kiss it until it starts to change colour - cell by cell - to a much healthier pink. Call me crazy and goodness knows if it works, but it definitely makes me more aware of the tumour. The area does seem to tingle and I'd like to think that's my healthy cells giving a biiig stretch and coming to life. 
You should give it a try. You do feel silly at first, and sometimes it's hard to concentrate. It's like meditation. You can use it anywhere; on the tube, waiting for a hospital appointment even and it really doesn't have to be cancer that you're helping to heal. You could be wanting to cure something as simple as a headache but they say you really can't under estimate the power of the mind!


2 comments:

  1. Love this post the most! Especially love the picture - you should use it for something - print it on stationary or t-shirts or cross stitch a cushion cover xxx

    ReplyDelete